USS Reading

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Reading PF-66

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Reading

(PF-66: dp. 2,415 (f.),1. 303'11", b. 37'6", dr. 13'8", s. 20 k cpl. 190, a. 3 3", 4 40mm., 9 20mm., 2 dct., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.); cl. Tacoma)

Reading (PF-66) was laid down by the Beathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wis 25 Mav 1913, launched 28 August 1943, sponsored by Mrs. John C. Butterweek towed down the Mississippi and commissioned at New Orleans 19 August 1944, Lt. Comdr. Nelson C. McCormick, USCG, rn command.

Following shakedown off Bermuda, Reading reported for fast convoy escort duty hetween the IJnited States and European and North African ports. Her first such duty began in January 1945 when she departed Norfolk for Algeria. Returning to the United States w ith another convoy, she made one more round trip to the Mediterranean before the end of the war with Germany.

On 26 May Reading commenced conversion to a weather ship. An intricate array of meteorological equipment was installed and a supply of cold u-eather gear W.tS taken on board before the Reading was declared ready for sea on 10 June. Her first ueather station was off Boston, ubere she was forced to "lie to" because it was too deep to anchor. In the fall, the weather ship moved northu-ard and took station betu-een the Canadian and Icelandic coasts. Weather observations were transmitted 12 times daily and homing signals were radioed to aircraft periodically. When relieved from her station, the ship put into either irgentia or Reykjavik for refueling and provisioning.

On 16 November Reading received orders for decommissioning. She put in at Portsmouth, Va., and was decommissioned there 19 December 1945. She uas struck from the Navy list 8 January 1946, delivered to United Boat Service Corp., New York, and resold to Argentina in July 1947.