USS Oleander II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Oleander II WAGL-264

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Oleander II
(WAGL-264: dp. 80; 1. 73'; b. 18'; dr. 5'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 11)

Oleander was built under Coast Guard contract in 1940 by Marine Iron and Shipbuilding Corp., Duluth, Minn. Designed as a small river buoy tender, she was first assigned permanent station at Kansas City, Mo.

She commenced patrol and navigational aid maintenance operations on the Missouri River in the area of Kansas City and she was so engaged when Executive Order 8929 of 1 November 1941 transferred the Coast Guard to the Navy.

Through the war years Oleander continued to serve on the Missouri River as a buoy tender.

When the Coast Guard returned to the Treasury Department 1 January 1946, the tender remained in an active status. In 1961 she was assigned new permanent station at Point Pleasant, W.Va., on the Ohio River. In April 1967, after 177 years with the Treasury Department, the Coast Guard transferred to the new Department of Transportation. Oleander has remained active as a buoy tender through l969 operating on the Ohio River out of Point Pleasant.