USS Mariveles

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Mariveles PG

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Mariveles

A harbor and bay on the southwest tip at Battaan peninsula, Luzon, Philippine Islands. The first Mariveles retained her Spanish name.

(PG: dp. 170; 1. 99'9"; b. 16'6"; dr. 6'; s. 7 k.; cpl. 27; a. 13 pdr., 2 1 pdr., 2 mg.)

The first Mariveles, a former Spanish unarmored gunboat, was laid down in 1886 by Hongkong & Whampoa Dock Co., Hong Kong; purchased by the War Department in 1898; transferred to the Navy 2 May 1899; and commissioned 17 June 1899, Lt. (jg.) J. W. Oman in command.

Departing Cavite shortly after commissioning, Mariveles steamed for the southern Philippines to patrol off the coasts of Leyte, Cebu, and Samar. Cooperating with the Army in suppressing the Philippine insurrection, the gunboat served in this area for 6 months, and then saw duty as a convoy escort and artillery support vessel during the Kobbes Expedition against rebel forces on Luzon in January 1900. In February, following patrol duty off the eastern coast of Luzon, the ship returned to Manila for overhaul at Cavite Navy Yard. She decommissioned there in early March. Mariveles recommissioned briefly from 16 to 22 August to act as a ferryboat for the Army in Manila Bay, and then was placed in ordinary at Cavite.

The gunboat returned to active service I May 1901, and sailed 22 May, via Cebu, for Iloilo, Panay. She patrolled off the coast of that island and Samar cooperating with Army units ashore, protecting American lives, and suppressing piracy. The gunboat was decommissioned 8 August at Cavite and was held in reserve at the Navy Yard, serving intermittently as a ferry in Manila Bay, until stricken from the Navy list 8 June 1908. She was sold to Faustino Lichauce 2 January 1909.