USS J A Palmer

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

J. A. Palmer SP-319

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
J. A. Palmer

A former name retained.

(SP-319: t. 276; 1. 155'; b. 22'; dr. 12'; s. 12 k.; a. 2 1-pdrs.)

J. A. Palmer (SP-319), or Palmer, a wooden fishing vessel, was built in 1912 by Jackson and Sharpe, Wilmington, Del.; purchased by the Navy from her owners, C. E. Davis Packing Co., Reedville, Va.; and commissioned 7 April 1917, Boatswain W. A. Hudgins in command.

J. A. Palmer, assigned to the 5th Naval District, operated on patrol off Cape Henry until February 1918 when she received special cable equipment at Berkeley, Va. The ship was then loaned to the Coast Guard for use as a cable ship and steamed along the Atlantic coast laying and repairing cable. To avoid confusion with destroyer Palmer, her name was dropped 17 January 1919. SP-319 was subsequently turned over permanently to the Coast Guard 10 September 1919 for continued use as a cable ship, and was renamed Pequot by the Treasury Department.