USS Sands II  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Sands II AGOR-6

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Sands II

(AGOR-6: dp. 1,362 (f.); 1. 209'; b. 40'; dr. 15'; s.13 k.; cpl. 26; cl. Sands)

The second Sands (AGOR-6) was laid down on 23 August 1962 by the Marietta Manufacturing Co., Point Pleasant, W. Va., launched on 14 September 1968 sponsored by Miss Priscilla G. Sands; and accepted by the Navy and placed in service under Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) control on 2 February 1965, Capt. George W. Fladerer, Master.

Manned by a Civil Service crew, the United States Naval Ship Sands was operated in the Atlantic by the Military Sealift Command (formerly MSTS) for the Naval Oceanographic Office. Until being placed out of service, in reserve, in April 1973, Sands performed oceanographic and marine geophysical research and conducted experiments in underwater sound propagation.