USS Laramie  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Laramie AO-16

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Laramie
(AO-16: dp. 4,410; 1. 446'; b. 68'; dr. 26'6"; s. 11 k.; cpl.
107;a.25",23")

Laramie (AO-16) was built in 1920 under USSB contract by Wm. Cramp & Son, Philadelphia Pa., acquired by the Navy at Mobile, Ala., 17 December 1921, and commissioned 28 December 1921, Lt. Comdr. Preston Herndon, USNRF, in command.

Steaming from ldobile 10 January 1922, Laramie reached Norfolk 13 January and decommissioned 19 June. She recommissioned in ordinary 26 June 1940 at Philadelphia, Comdr. James J. Hughes in command. She arrived Brooklyn Navy Yard 28 June for alterations; recommissioned in full 6 December; returned to Philadelphia 15 December; and arrived Norfolk 17 January 1941 for duty with the Atlantic Fleet.

Between 18 January and v June Laramie made six runs to Baton Rouge, La., to transport fuel oil to Norfolk and Bermuda. She sailed from Norfolk to Bahia Bay, Brazil via Guantanamo Bay 24 June to 21 July; operated along
the Brazilian coast until 13 August; then returned to Nortolk 1 September for overhaul. Departing 11 October, she carried fuel oil via Boston and St. John's Newtoundland, to Narsarssuak, Greenland, where she arrived 25 October.

When the United States entered the war againat the Axis powers, Laramie was operating along the southwestern coast of Greenland carrying-oil and gasoline. the steamed from Narsarssuak to Norfolk via Sydney, Nova Scotia, 11 to 23 December; and, arter completing two fueling runs to Baton Rouge, she cleared Casco Bay, Maine, 8 March 1942 with a cargo Or gasoline and oil tor Army bases in Greenland. Throughout the remainder of 1942 and during 1943 she plied the stormy North Atlantic, transporting liquid and dry cargo to Greenland from Boston, New York, Sydney, Nova Scotia, and Argentia and St. John's, Newfoundland.

Loaded with 361,000 gallons of aviation gasoline, 55,000 barrels of oil, and with general cargo, includlug depth charges. Laramie departed Sydney tor Greenland 2ff August 1942. On the evening of the 27th she was torpedoed while steaming in convoy at the eastern end of Belle Isle Strait. Hlt on the port side forward, she immediately listed to port and went down by the bow some 37 feet. The blast demolished the forward crew's quarters, killing tour men, opened a hole 41 feet 1ong and 34 feet high causing extensive flooding forward; and ruptured the port gasoline tank, spraying the ship with volatile liquid and explosire fumes.

Despite flooding and imminent danger Of explosion, the captain, Comdr. P. M. Moncy, took immediate and effective action to Pave Laramie. Although gasoline ran ankledeep over the forward gun platforms, no flres broke out, and a steam slllothering system protected unruptured holds. Prompt pumping of liquid cargo corrected the list and reduced the forward draft. Escorted by U.S. Coast Guard cutter Mohawk, Laramie returned to Sydney 30 August before steamlug to Boston 2 to 5 September tor damage repairs. Commander Moncy later received the Navy Cross tor directing the saving of Laramie under extremely hazardous conditions.

After a run to Aruba, Netherlands West Indies, from 21 February to 2 March 1944 for a cargo of gasoline, Laramle resumed voyages to Greenland out of Boston 25 March. She returned to Aruba 28 August, carried fuel to Newfoundland via Guantanamo and Boston 7 to 27 September; then returned to the Caribbean 17 October to shuttle liquid cargo between Aruba and Guantanamo. Steaming to New York via Bermuda 9 to 20 November, she resumed shuttle runs along the eastern seaboard to Newfoundland and Greenland.

On 8 August 1945 Laramie arrived Boston from Grondal Greenland. Steaming to Norfolk 4 to 6 September, she decommissioned l6 November 1945. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission 11 June 1946 and on 1 July 1947 was delivered to Boston Metals Co., Baltimore, Md.