USS Althea

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Althea

Althea

II

(MB: t. 25 (gross); 1. 60'; b. 12'; dr. 4' (aft); s. 9 1/2 mph.; cpl. 9;
a. 1 3-pdr., 2 mg.)

The second Althea (SP-218)-a motorboat constructed in 1907 at Steinway (Long Island), N.Y., by the William Whitlesey Co.—was formally purchased by the Navy on 15 June 1917 from Mr. James H. Moore more than a month after she had been taken over and commissioned on 12 May 1917, Ens. E. L. Anderson, USNRF, in command.

Assigned to the section patrol in the 9th Naval District, she conducted operations from her base at Detroit, Mich. Laid up for the winter on 14 November 1917, Althea returned to duty in May 1918. On 2 August 1919, her name was struck from the Navy list, and she was laid up at the Naval Training Station Detroit. There, she remained awaiting sale until 18 March 1920 when she sank as a result of ice. The motorboat, still under water, was sold for salvage on 12 May 1920.