USS MacKenzie II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

MacKenzie II No. 175

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
MacKenzie II
(Destroyer No. 175: dp. 1,060; 1. 314'5"; b. 31'; dr. 8'6"; s. 33.5 k.; cgl. 101; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" tt.; cl. Wickes.)

The second MacKenzie (Destroyer No. 175) was laid down by the Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif., 4 July 1918; launched 29 September 1919; sponsored by Mrs. Percy J. Cotton, and commissioned 25 July 1919, Lt. Omdr. E. T. Oates in command. On 17 July 1920, she was designated DD-175.

Following commissioning and shakedown, MacKenzie became a unit of the Pacific Fleet and operated with Destroyer Squadrons 2 and 4 until decommissioned at Mare Island 27 May 1922. MacKenzie remained in reserve until she Recommissioned at San Diego, 6 November 1939.

In 1940, the ship was one of 50 destroyers exchanged,
under the terms of the Lend-Lease Agreement, for strategic bases off the North American coast. She arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, 20 September 1940. There, on the 24th, she decommissioned, was turned over to the Royal Canadian Navy and Recommissioned HMCS Annapolis`.

MacKenzie was struck from the Navy list 8 January 1941.

Until 1944, Annapolis sailed with the Halifax and Western Local Escort Forces escorting convoys from east of St. Johns, Newfoundland, to New York. In April 1944, she was attached to HMCS Cornwallis', near Annapolis,
Novia Scotia, where she remained as a training ship until the end of the war. On 4 June 1945, she was turned over to the War Assets Corp. and sold to Frankel Bros., Ltd., of Toronto for scrapping.