USS Powhatan III

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Powhatan III ScTug

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Powhatan III

(StTug: dp. 194; 1. 101'b.p.; b. 21'; dr. 10'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 35;
a. 1 3-pdr., 1 37mm.)

Powhatan, formerly Penwood, was built in 1892 by the Maryland Steel Co., Baltimore, Md. She was purchased by the Navy 8 April 1898 and commissioned 20 April 1898, Lt. F. M. Russell in command.

She was first attached to the Auxiliary Naval Force based at Pensseola, Fla. from 11 June to 8 August 1898. Later she was assigned to the Pensaeola Navy Yard as yard tug. In 1900 she served the Marine Hospital Service, Treasury Department, as a quarantine vessel at Reedy Island, Del. She returned to the Navy in 1901 as yard tug at the New York Navy Yard and served as Powhatan until 1 September 1917, when her name was changed to Cayuga (q.u.).

She continued to be stationed at the New York Navy Yard until decommissioned on 20 April 1928. Cayuga (YT-12) was scrapped 5 June 1928.