USS Orono

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Orono YTB-190

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Orono
(YTB-190: dp. 265; 1. 100'; b. 25'; dr. 9'7" (mean); s. 12 k. ~ cpl. 11; a. 2 mg.; cl. Woban)

Ororo was laid down as YT-190, 16 May 1942, by the Pacific Coast Engineering Co., Alameda, Calif., Launched 11 July 1942, sponsored by Mrs. Agnes Robertson; and placed in service 29 May 1943.

Assigned to the 13th Naval District, Orono steamed north soon after fitting out to handle ships in the Columbia River area. Based at Astoria, she assisted CVE's and APA's, built at Portland, into the Port Doeks for outfitting. The tug, reclassified YTB-190 in May 1944, continued this work throughout World War II, occasionally adding towage of drydock sections from Longview to Seattle to her duties. She remained at Yort Doeks until late 1946, then shifting to Tongue Point to handle ships of the Columbia River Group of the Pacific Reserve Fleet and to aet as fire tug for the base. Reassigned in mid-1961 and Reclassified YTM-190 in February 1962 she has served the 12th Naval District, headquartered at San Francisco, into 1970.