USS Chickasaw

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Chickasaw

Chickasaw II
(Tug: dp. 100; 1. 77'2"; b. 18'; dr. 8'; s. 10 k.)

The second Chickasaw, a tug, was built in 1882 by John H. Dialogue, Camden, N.J., as Hercules; purchased by the Navy 25 June 1898; and placed in commission briefly for service during the Spanish-American War operating from Port Royal and Charleston, S.C.

Decommissioned 26 August 1898, Chickasaw was placed in ordinary for repairs, then in April 1900 was ordered to New York Navy Yard for use as a harbor tug and tender for the receiving ship Vermont. From 1908 she served as a harbor tug at Newport and remained there until 1913 when she returned to New York and was sold.