USS Alloway Navy History, History, USS Navy, Battleships, Carriers, Cruisers">

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Alloway

Alloway

II

(YT-170: dp. 95; 1. 71'; b. 19'; dr. 10'6")

The second Alloway (YT-170)-a diesel-powered tug built in 1935 as Russell No. 12—was acquired by the Navy on 28 October 1940 at New York from the Newton Creek Towing Co.
renamed Alloway the following day and simultaneously designated YT-170; converted to naval service by the New York Navy Yard; and placed in service at New York on 7 November 1940.

Alloway was initially ordered to the 5th Naval District and stationed at the Naval Proving Grounds at Dahlgren, Va., where she served through the end of World War II. During her tour of duty, Alloway was reclassified a medium harbor tug and redesignated YTM-170 on 15 May 1944. On 21 March 1946, she was assigned to temporary duty with the 5th Naval District at Norfolk preparatory to her inactivation. Alloway was placed out of service at Little Creek Va., on 19 August 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy iist on 10 June 1947 and she was turned over to the Maritime Commission's War Shipping Administration for disposal.