USS Redbud

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Redbud AKL-398

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Redbud

A Coast Guard name retained.

(AKL-398; dp. 1,025 (f.); 1. 180'; b. 38'; dr. 13'; cpl. 28; s. 13 k.)

Redbud, a lighthouse tender (WAGL-398) built in 1943 for the U.S. Coast Guard by the Marine Iron & Shipbuilding Co. Duluth, Minn., uas acquired bN the Navy 18 March 1949 redesignated AKI,-398 on 31 March 1949, converted at Long Beach, Calif., and commissioned 23 July 1949, Lt. Comdr. F. E. Clark in command.

Following shakedown, Redbud departed Long Beach 3 August 1949 and headed for the east coast. On 18 September she arrived at Boston, whence she continued on to Argentia to join the support force for the construction and maintainance of air bases and early warning installations in the North Atlantic and Arctic areas. Through the end of the year and into 1950, she operated along the southwestern coast of Greenland, adding more northerly ports and those on the Canadian side of Baffin Bay to her schedule during the warmer months. Until 28 Fcbruarv 1952, she continued her support of Arctic bases, rehabilitating navigational aids, activating and repairing submarine petroleum lines, and delivering bulk petroleum ancl general cargo, as a commissioned U.S. Navy ship. Then decommissioned, she u-as simultaneously placed in service, assigned to MSTS, and, with a civil service creureturned to sealift support for the Northeast command (SUNEC).

In 1956 Redbud's schedule was altered to include winter (November through March) supply runs to the Texas Towers which alternated with warmer weather (April through October) SUNEC duties. Maintaining that schedule through the 1960's, her primary mission continued to be her SUNEC missions, and, until 1970, she was usually the first MSTS ship to arrive in the far north to open a new resupply season. On 10 November, she was returned to the Coast Guard and was struck from the Navy list ten days later. She was transferred to the Republie of the Philippines on 1 March 1972 under a grant-in-aid. She serves the Philippines as Kalinga (AG-89).