USS Clytie AS 26 >

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Clytie AS-26

Clytie

A nymph in Greek mythology, enamored of
Apollo.
(AS-26: dp. 7,150; 1. 492'; b. 69'6"; dr. 23'; s. 18 k.;
cpl. 1,460; a. 1 5", 4 3"; cl. Aegir)

Clytie (AS-26) was launched 26 November 1943 by Ingalls Shipbuilding Co., Pascagoula, Miss., under a Maritime Commission contract, sponsored by Mrs. C. H. Leavitt; transferred to the Navy 26 February 1944; converted at Bethlehem Steel Corp., Hoboken, N.J., and commissioned 18 January 1945, Commander C. H. Walker in command.

Clytie sailed from New London 21 February 1945 for Brisbane, and Fremantle, Australia where she tended submarines of the 7th Fleet from 4 April to 13 September. Returning to New London 17 October, Clytie remained there except for a brief overhaul at Philadelphia until placed out of commission in reserve 5 October 1946.