USS Arcadia >

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Arcadia AD-23

Arcadia

III

(AD-23: dp. 16,635; 1. 492'; b. 69'6"; dr. 27'3"; s. 18.4 k.; cpl. 826; a. 15", 4 3", 4 40mm.; cl. Klondike)

The third Arcadia was laid down by Todd Shipyards Corp. on 6 March 1944 at Los Angeles, Calif.; launched on 19 Novembersponsored by Mrs. Edward L. . Beach the widow of Capt. Edward L. Beach; fitted out at Terrminal Island, San Pedro Calif ; and commissioned on 13 September 1945, Capt. James M. Connally in command.

Following shakedown training off San Diego, the destroyer tender departed the west coast to join the Atlantic Fleet at Charleston, S.C. The war had been over for several months when she arrived at her berth on the Wando River on 1 December. Arcadia served as tender to destroyers joining the inactive fleet at Charleston, and she also developed the official program for decommissioning and inactivation to be used by tenders of her own class.

Arcadia was placed in commission, in reserve, on 7 February 1947 and serve as accommodation vessel for Submarine Group 1 of the Charleston group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet. he was placed in full commission on 1 August 1951 and assigned a new home port, Newport, R.I., where she tended destroyers in the Narragansett Bay area.

Arcadia supported the Atlantic Fleet with repair services into the 1970's. She served as 6th Fleet destroyer tender during many deployments to the Mediterranean where she made workin visits to such ports as Naples, Italy; Cannes, France; Valencia, Palma, and Barcelona, Spain; Lisbon, Portugal; Piraeus, Greece; and Istanbul, Turkey. The tender visited the Caribbean while exercising in yearly "Springboard" operations in the 1950's and 1960's, calling at ports in the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, and the Virgin Islands.

In October 1964, Arcadia steamed to Orange, Tex., to strip five mothballed high-speed transports for parts needed by active duty destroyers. The six-week trip netted nearly $800,000 worth of parts and equipment for use by the ships of the Atlantic Fleet.

Although she serviced destroyers primarily, Arcadia was called (CV-60). November 1966 to repair the aircraft carrier Saratoga 0). The tender departed Newport on 19 November for the cruise to Mayport, Fla., where she remained until 13 December completing the repair work needed following a Mediterranean cruise. Sh e returned to Newport and resumed her normal operations.

In both 1966 and 1967, Arcadia made cruises to Key West and Mayport to provide services to Destroyer Division 601, Destroyer Squadron 16, and reserve training destroyers from various ports in the Gulf of Mexico.

Arcadia was decommissioned on 28 June 1968 berthed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet contingent in the James River on 15 November, and formally transferred to the Maritime Administration on 30 June 1969. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 July 1973, and she was sold to Levin Metals of San Jose, Calif., in October 1975, and scrapped.