USS Banshee IX-178  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Banshee IX-178

Banshee II

(IX-178: dp. 4500; 1. 446'; b. 58'2"; dph. 33'4"; a. 1 4", 13~)

The second Banshee (IX-178), a tanker, was built in 1917 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa., as Harold Walker (later renamed W. C Fairbanks), chartered from the War Shipping Administration 13 December 1944; and commissioned 25 December 1944 at Milne Bay, New Guinea, Lieutenant Commander E. H. Lemon in command.

Between January and November 1945 Banshee served as a station tanker at Humbolot Bay, New Guinea (25 January-25 March ); Morotai Island, Netherlands East Indies (31 March-27 June); and Manila Bay, Luzon (August 17 November).

On 18 November 1945 Banshee steamed to Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, where she underwent pre-inactivation overhaul until 4 February 1946. She was decommissioned 5 February 1946 and returned to the War Shipping Administration the same day.

Banshee received one battle star for her service during the Balikonpan operation (28 June-7 July 1945).