USS O.M. Pettit  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

O.M. Pettit SwStr

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
O. M. Pettit
(SwStr: t. 165; 1. 106'; b. 28'4"; dph. 7'; dr. 6'; s. 8 k.; a. 1 30-pdr., 1 20-pdr. P.r.)

Oliver M. Pettit, a wooden side wheel steamer built in 1857 at Williamsburg, N.Y., was purchased by the Navy at New lron City 17 August 1861, and commissioned at New York Navy Yard 4 October 1861, as O. M. Pettit, Acting Master A. S. Gardner in command.

After serving as a tug at the New York Navy Yard, the sidewheeler joined the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron early in 1862, and performed similar services at Port Royal, S.C.

After the Civil War, O. M. Pettit was sold at Bay Point, S.C., 2 September 1865 to J. W. Walcott, and was abandoned in 1879.