USS George P. Squires   Navy History, History, USS Navy, Battleships, Carriers, Cruisers">

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

George P. Squires-Steamer

George P. Squires

(SP-303: t. 218, 1. 142'6"; b. 22'; dr. 12'; s. 10 k, cpl. 27; a. none)


George P. Squires, a fishing steamer, was built by Henry Brusster, Baltimore, Md., in 1900- purchased by the Navy from her owner, Bellows & Squires, Inc., Ocran, VA., 12 May 1917, taken over at Norfolk 21 May 1917; and commissioned the same day, Ens. James B. McKenny, USNRF, in command.

Assigned to the 5th Naval District, George P. Squires served as a harbor patrol boat in Norfolk. In addition she swept for mines in the defensive area of Chesapeake Bay and patrolled the Virginia coast off Cape Henry. She decommissioned at Norfolk 27 July 1918 and was sold to James Dietrich of New York City 23 October.

 

'); ');