Gladwyne

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Glenolden PC-782

Glenolden

A borough in southeastern Pennsylvania.

(PC-782 dp. 280, 1. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 10'10"; s. 22 k.:

cpl.65,a.13",140mm. , 520mm., 2rkt., 2dcp. ,2dct.; cI.PC-461)

PC-782 was laid down 26 November 1942 by Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oreg., launched 31 December 1942: sponsored by Mrs. G. B. Wallace, and commissioned 19 July 1943, Bt. (j.g.) M. W. Thomas in command.

After shakedown, PC-782 conducted 3 months of patrol and escort duty while assigned to the Northern Sector, Western Sea Frontier, for ASW training. Sailing 4 December for duty in the Aleutian Islands, she steamed via Dutch Harbor, Alaska, to Attu Island. During the next 10 months she served on local patrol and escort duty throughout the Aleutian chain.

Departing Attu 25 October 1944, PC- 782 returned to the West Coast 11 November for overhaul at Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Wash. Between 6 and 10 March 1945 she sailed to San Francisco, and on 15 March she departed for Pearl Harbor as escort for LST-845. Arriving 24 March, she was assigned to the Hawaiian Sea Frontier and during the next 5 months operated as n patrol and escort ship.

PC-782 departed Pearl Harbor 12 September and arrived San Pedro the 21st. She sailed for the East Coast 5 October, transited the Panama Canal the 16th; and arrived Key West several days later. Following inactivation overhaul, she sailed 17 November for Green Cove Springs. Fla., arriving 20 November. After serving as Naval Reserve Training ship, PC-782 decommissioned in October 1949 and joined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. While berthed in Norfolk, VA., she was named Glenolden 15 February 1956. Her name was struck from the Naval Register 1 April 1959, and she was sold 14 September 1959 to Hughes Bros., Inc.

 

'); ');