USS Covington PF 56

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Covington PG-70

Covington III
(PF-56: dp. 1,190, 1. 303'11", b. 37'6", dr. 13'8"; s. 20
k.; cgl. 176; a. 2 3"; cl. Tacoma)

The third Covington (PF-56) was launched 15 July 1943 by Globe Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wis., under a Maritime Commission contract, sponsored by Miss. J. Phillips, transferred to the Navy 5 August 1944; placed in "ferry" commission 7 August 1944, and commissioned in full 17 October 1944, Lieutenant Commander F. S. Brown, USCGR, in command.

Covington arrived at Argentia, Newfoundland, 25 December 1944 for duty as a weather patrol vessel. She remained on this duty, except for overhauls at Boston and Charleston until 16 March 1946 when she was decommissioned and loaned to the Coast Guard. Covington was returned from the Coast Guard 17 September 1946 and sold to Ecuador through the Foreign Liquidation Commission of the State Department 28 August 1947.