USS Alexandria

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Alexandria PF-18

Alexandria

II

(PF-18: dp. 1,430,1. 303'11"; b. 37'6", dr. 13'8" s. 20.3 k. (tl.) cpl. 190, a. 3 3", 4 20mm., 8 dep., 1 dep. (hh.), 2 dct., cl. Tacoma, T. S2-S2-AQ1)

The second Alexandria (PF-18) was Iaid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1848) on 23 June 1943 at Lorain, Ohio, by the American Shipbuilding Co., Iaunched on 15 January 1944, sponsored by Mrs. J. Leslie Hall, and towed down the Mississippi River to New Orleans where she was fitted out and then commissioned on 11 March 1945, Lt. Comdr. C. G. Houtsma, USCG, in command.

Alexandria conducted shakedown and antisubmarine warfare (ASW) training out of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in late March and early April. She concluded shakedown on 19 April and put into the Norfolk Navy Yard on the 22d to begin post-shakedown availability. Her repairs were finished on 4 May, and, three days later, the war in Europe ended. The latter event obviated the primary mission for which she had been constructed, prosecution of the Battle of the Atlantic against German U-boats. Thus when she reported for duty with the Commander, Destroyers Atlantic Fleet, on 15 May the patrol frigate received an alternative assignment as a weather ship. After receiving mod)fications at the Charleston Navy Yard, she began weather patrol duty off the Newfoundland coast late in June 1945.

That duty—broken only by a visit to Alexandria, Va. in late October and early November—lasted until February l946 when the ship was declared surplus to the needs of the Navy. She arrived at the Boston Naval Shipyard on 12 February and remained there just under one month. On 12 March, Alexandria arrived in Norfolk, Va., where she was decommissioned on 10 April 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 21 May 1946. On 18 April 1947, the former patrol frigate was sold to the Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Pa., for scrapping.