USS Puritan II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Puritan II

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Purtian II

(Mon: t. 6,060; 1. 296'3"; b. 60'1?~"; dr. 18', s. 12.4 k.; cpl.
200; a. 4 12" blr., 6 4" blr., some 6-pdrs., cl. Puritan)

The never completed Puritan of the Civil War underwent the same extent of rebuilding as the four Miantonomohs under the direction of Secretary of the Navy George Robeson. The revised design of the "repaired" Puritan called for two turrets, and with her suerpstructure, tall stack, and military mast she had the characteristics which identified the monitors built between 1889 and 1903. The new Puritan was built by John Roach & Son, Chester, Pa. and completed by the New York Navy Yard, Brooklyn, N.Y. She was launched 6 December 1882 and commissioned 10 December 1896, Capt. J. R. Bartlett in command.

Puritan had a busy career in 1898 during the SpanishAmerican War. Assigned to the Cuban blockade in April, she

joined New York and Cincinatti in shelling Matanzas the 27th. At Key West in early May, she departed the 20th to join the force then building under Rear Admiral William T. Sampson to move against Santiago. Puritan linked up on the 22nd and Sampson moved his ships to Key Frances on the Nicholas Channel to execute his plan to contain the Spanish Fleet at Santiago. The success of Sampson's squadron at Santiago 3 July resulted in almost complete destruction of the Spanish Fleet

Following war-time service, Puritan served as a praetiee ship for the Naval Aeademy from 1899 to 1902. She decommissioned 16 April 1903 at Philadelphia but recommissioned 3 June to serve as a receiving ship at League Island. In 1904 she was loaned to the Naval Militia of Washington, D.C. and served with them until 14 September 1909. Puritan then moved to Norfolk where she decommissioned 23 April 1910. She was struck from the Navy List 27 February 1918 and sold 26 January 1922, to J. G. Hetner and W. F. Cutler of Philadelphia.