USS Dominant  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Dominant-AM-431

Dominant

Ruling or controlling.

The first Dominant (AMC-76) served in a noncommissioned status during 1941-1946, attached to the 3d Naval District and the Potomac River Naval Command.

Dominant II

(AM-431: dp. 620; 1. 172'; b. 36'; dr. 10'; s. 16 k.; cpl.
74; a. 1 40 mm.; cl. Agile)

The second Dominant (AM-431) was launched 5 November 1953 by C Hiltebrant Dry dock co Kingston, N.Y., sponsored by Mrs. B. S. Hiltebrant, and commissioned 8 November 1954, Lieutenant S. F. McMurray in command.

After extensive training at Key West, Fla., Dominant reported to her home port, Charleston, S.C., 16 April 1956 for duty with Mine Force, Atlantic. She alternated operations from her home port with services for the Mine Defense Laboratory in Panama City, Fla. In 1956 and 1957 she cruised to the Mediterranean for duty with the 6th Fleet, joining in minesweeping exercises with ships of other NATO navies, and in 1958 she carried Commander, Mine Division 43 to the Baltic Sea for similar exercises. From March 1959 her home port was Little Creek, VA., and the next month Dominant sailed for duty in the Mediterranean once more. She returned in August for test operations and amphibious exercises through 1962.