USS Direct  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Direct- AM-430

Direct II

(AM-430: dp 620; 1 172'; b. 36'; dr. 10'; s. 16 k.;
cpl. 74; a. 1 40 mm.; cl. Agile)

The second Direct (AM-430) was launched 27 May 1953 by Hiltebrant Dry Dock Co., Kingston, N.Y.; sponsored by Mrs. D. C. Hiltebrant; and commissioned 9 July 1954, Lieutenant Commander B. H. Dean in command. She was reclassified MSO-430 on 7 February 1956.

Based at Charleston, S.C., Direct operated on minesweeping exercises and training with other ships. She also provided services to the Fleet Sonar School at Key West, Naval Mine Defense Laboratory at Panama City, and Mine Warfare School at Yorktown. From 1 May to 2 October 1957 she cruised to the Mediterranean for duty with the 6th Fleet. On 14 April 1958 her home port was changed to Yorktown, VA., and on 15 January 1959 to Little Creek, VA. Between 27 April and 27 August 1959 she served again in the Mediterranean, then served in amphibious exercises and other operations through 1962.