USS Preble II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Preble II SlpW

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Preble II

(SlpW: t. 566; 1. 117'; b. 32'; dph 15'; a. 16 32-pdrs.)

The second Preble, a sloop-of-war built by the Portsmouth (N.H.) Navy Yard, was launched 13 June 1839 and commissioned the following year, Comdr. Samuel L. Breese in command.

On special duty off Labrador from June to November 1840, Preble sailed for the Mediterranean, 12 January 1841. Returning 13 August 1843, she departed the following year for the African enast where she served from 5 September 1844 to 25 September 1845. A year later she sailed from New York for the Pacific. Arriving at Valparaiso 26 January 1847, she eontinued on to serve with the Pacific Squadron off the west coast for the remainder of the Mexican War.

In the summer of 1848 she sailed west to cruise in the East Indies. During the spring of 1849 she moved north arriving at Nagasaki 18 April, to negotiate the release of survivors of the ship-wreeked whaler Lagoda, held prisoners by the Japanese. Aecomplishing her mission, she sailed on the 26th to rejoin the East Indies Squadron at Shanghai. On 1 November 1850 she got underway for the United States. Arriving at New York 1 January 1851, she served as a practice ship for midshipmen until 1858.

In late 1858, Preble sailed for Paraguay to take action against that country for firing on Water Witch. She arrived at Asuneion with 18 other vessels 25 January 1859, but the payment of an indemnity and an apology settled the affair peacefully.

She returned to the United States in September 1860, and ten months later joined the Gulf Blockading Squadron to assist in implementing the Union blockade of the South's coast. Initially at the mouth of the Mississippi she later shifted to Pensecola to aet as guard and store ship. On 27 April 1863 she was aceidently destroyed by fire.