USS Oahu II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Oahu II ARG-5

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Oahu II
(ARG-5 dp. 4,023 (It.), 1. 441'6", b. 56'11", dr. 23', s. 12 k. cpl. 583; a. 1 5", 3 3", 4 40mm., cl. Luzon, T. EC2-S-CI.)

The second Oaku (ARG-5) was laid down as Caleb C Wheeler, MCV hull 1782, 14 August 1943 by the Bethlehem Fairfield Shipyard, Ine., Baltimore, Md.; launched 9 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. O. F. Hurt, acquired by the Navy from the Marihme Commission 16 September 1943 converted by the Maryland Drydock Co., Baltimore Md. and commissioned 4 April 1944, Comdr. Clyde Loveiace in command.

Following a Chesapeake Bay shakedown, the repair ship Oabu departed Hampton Roads, 16 May 1944, steaming south and then west. Transiting the Panama Canal, she headed out into the Pacific. On 8 July she arrived at Eniwetok and on the 11th began repairing the damaged vessels of the Pacific Fleet.

Oabu remained based at Eniwetok for the greater part of the next eight months. There she kept Allied vessels, naval and merchant, in trim and prepared them for the Philippine and Iwo Jima operations. Moving forward to Ulithi at the end of February, 1945, she serviced the ships gathering for the invasion of Okinawa during March and then returned to the Marshalls. Oabu continued her work at Eniwetok until 6 December when she got underway for the United States.

Arriving at San Pedro 25 December, Oahu, having repaired over two thousand ships during the war, was ordered to Ssn Diego to complete repair and preinactivation work on vessels going into mothballs. On 22 November she herself was ordered inactivated, and decommissioned in January 1947. She was berthed at San Diego as a unit of the Pacific Reserve Fleet until transferred in July 1963 to the Maritime Administration and laid up at Suisan Bay. She remains there as a unit of the National Defense Reserve Fleet in 1970.

Oahu (AGR-5) received one battle star for World War II service.