USS Naubuc II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Naubuc II AN-84

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Naubuc II
(AN-84: dp. 545; 1. 168'6", b. 33'10"; dr. 10'9"; s. 12 k., cpl. 46; a. 1 3"; Cl. Cohoes)

The second Naubuc (AN-84) was laid down 31 December 1943 as (YN-109) by the Marine Iron and Shipbuilding Co., Duluth, Minnesota; launched 15 April 1944, sponsored by Mrs. Harold E. Ford, and commissioned 15 March 1945, Lt. (jg.) W. M. Bauer in command.

Following a delayed shakedown off the East Coast, Naubuc departed Boston 24 April 1945, enroute to California. Arriving at San Pedro, 7 June, she eornpleted intensive net training drills and headed west, anchoring in Pearl Harbor 17 July. By 1 August she was at Eniwetok, whence she continued on to the Philippines, performing her specialized services of laying and tending protective nets around ships and across harbor entrances at Leyte until after the cessation of hostilities. Enroute to CONUS in October, she stopped at Kwajalein and Pearl Harbor, arriving at San Franeisco 1 December.

On completion of an abbreviated tour in the Canal Zone, Naubu~ repor ted at San Diego 2 January 1946, for duty in the 11th Naval District. Ordered to Seattle for inactivation the following month, she decommissioned and entered the 19th Fleet, at Astoria, 6 September 1946. She remained in the Columbia River Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet, until struck from the Naval Vessel Register 1 September 1962. She was then transferred to the custody of the Maritime Administration and placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet.

Resquired five years later, Naubuc was reinstated to the Naval Vessel Register 1 June 1967 and scheduled to be eonverted to a Salvage Craft Tender. In March 1968 she was Reclassified (ARST-4) and assigned to the 13th Naval District for conversion.