USS Marl

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Marl IX-160

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Marl

A merchant name retained.

(IX-160: dp. 5,281; 1. 366'4"; b. .54'; dr. 26'; cpl. 114;
a. 1 40111111.. 4 20mm: cl. Midnight; T. B7-Dl)

Marl (IX-160), a non-self-propelled concrete barge, was laid down under Maritime Commission contract by Barrett & Hill), Belair Shipyard, South San Francisco, Calif., 16 November 1943; launched 2 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. M. Ryan; converted for Navy use as a cargo barge; acquired by the Navy 'under loan charter from the 'Maritime Commission 29 August 1944; and placed in service at San Francisco the same day.

Assigned to duty with Service Squadron 8, Marl was towed to the Philippines where during the remainder of the war in the Pacific she provided facilities for storing and issuing Army and Marine Corps supplies at Leyte. On 23 September 1945 she departed San Pedro Bay under tow by Lipan (ATF-85) and headed in convoy bound for Okinawa. A vicious typhoon dispersed the convoy north of the Philippines '29 September, and mountainous seas parted Marl from her towline early the next day. She was recovered following the storm and towed to Subic Bay 7 October. She underwent repairs to damaged machinery and continued duty as cargo stores barge until 2 August 1946 when she was placed out of service and delivered to WSA. Her name. was struck from the Navy list 15 August 1946. Marl was sold by the Maritime Commission to the Asia Development Corp. 4 September 1948.