USS Magnolia II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Magnolia II WAGL-231

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Magnolia

II

A Coast Guard name retained.

(WAGL-231: 1. 173'; b. 301; dr. 7'6"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 29;
a. 1 6-pdr.)

The second Coast Guard Magnolia was built in 1904 at Baltimore, Md., as a lighthouse and buoy tender and assigned permanent station at New Orleans, La.

Transferred to the Navy by Executive order 9 April 1917, she continued to operate as a buoy tender and patrol craft out of New Orleans. At the end of hostilities she returned to the Treasury Department and resumed tender duties with the Lighthouse Service until that Service became part of the Coast Guard in 1939.

Executive Order 8929 of 1 November 1941 transferred the entire Coast Guard to the Navy. Magnolia continued service as a buoy tender out of New Orleans until she sank off Mobile, Ala., 24 August 1945, after a collision with SS Marguerite Leland.