USS Interdictor

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Interdictor YAGR-13

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Interdictor

(YAGR-13: dp. 10760 (f.), 1. 44.'B", 5B'11"- dr. 24';
s. 11 k.; cpl. 149; cl. Guard~n; T. ~1BC2-S'5)

Interdictor (YAGR-13) was launched as Liberty Ship Eldwin H. Dug by J. A. Jones Construction Company, Inc., Panama City, Fia.. 29 June 1945, sponsored by Mrs. Edwin H. Dui, and delivered to McCormack Steamship Co. 27 July 1915. She carried aircraft until entering the National Defense Reserve Fleet, James River, Va., 17 October 1945, and except for brief cargo service remained there until being acquired by the Navy 10 May 1957. Renamed Interdictor and converted to Navy use at Charleston Naval Shiprard, she commissioned 7 April 1958, Lt. Comdr. J. P. Dordahl in command.

Fitted with the latest and best electronic search and tracking equipment, Interdictor sailed 2 May 1958 for shakedown training in the Caribbean. She departed Charleston 18 July and sailed to her new home port, San Francisco. Arriving 13 August, the ship assumed her role as an ocean radar station ship, part of America's vast early warning defense system. Operating with search aircraft, Ind erdictor could detect, track, and report enemy aircraft at great distances, supplementing land-based radar stations, and controls high-speed interceptor aircraft in case of attack. She also carried out weather reporting duties during her three to four week cruises in the Pacific.

Interdictor's hull classification was changed 28 September 1958 to AGR-13. She continued on radar picket patrols for the Continental Air Defense Command out of San Francisco until decommissioned 5 August 1965. Her name was struck from the Navy List 1 September 1965 when she transferred to the Maritime Administration for lay-up in the Suisun Bay River Defense Reserve Fleet, San Franciseo, Calif., where she remains.