USS Indra

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Indra ARL-37

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Indra

In Vedic mythology, the great national God of the Indo-Aryans.

(APL-37: dp. 2,125; 1. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 14'; s. 12 k.;
cpl. 253; a. 1 3", 8 40mm.; cl. Achelous)

Indra (ARI~37) was laid down as LST-1147 on 12 February 1945; reclassifled while building and launched as ARL-37 by Chicago Bridge & Iron Co., Seneca, Ill., 21 Mag 1945, sponsored by Mrs. Regina Hlubek - placed in reduced commission and brought to Bethlehem-R:ey Highway Shipyard, Baltimore, for conversion, and commissioned 2 October 1845, Lt. Comdr. R. J. Siegelman in command.

After shakedown Indra sailed to Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she remained from 30 November 1945 until 8 May 1946. She then steamed through the Panama Canal to San Diego, arfiving 4 June. The ship remained in California until departing 7 January 1947 for the Far East. Indra arrived Tsingtao 19 February to support Amefican marines there attempting to stabilize the volatile Chinese situation and protect Amefican lives and property. She performed repair and general services there and at Shanghai until 30 August, when she sailed for San Diego. Upon her arrival 25 September 1947, Indra decommissioned 6 October and entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet, San Diego group, where she remains.