USS Harjurand

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Harjurand ARS-31

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Harjurand

(ARS-31: t. 812; 1. 188'6"; b. 32'11"; dph. 13'~")

Harjurand (ARS-31) was built as Olesa in 19l9 by Astilleros Cardona, S.A., Barcelona, Spain. She had a long and varied merchant career, serving in the 1920's as Per Scotland under Estonian registry, 1931-32 as Camberway for the British Sunderland Steam Shipping Co., in 1933 as Tento, in 1934 as Margot, and finally under Estonian ownership again as Harjurand in 1937. Requisitioned by the War Shipping Administration, she was turned over to the Navy 1 June 1942. Although Navy owned, she was operated under contract by Merritt Chapman, and Scott, under the supervision of the Bureau of Ships.

Harjurand was one of the pioneer vessels in the Navy's very successful World War II Salvage Service. One of her first major operations was the salvage of cargo from SS Edward Luckenbach torpedoed of Florida 1 July 1942 Harjurand and other salvage ships worked from 28 March to 8 December 1943 at the difficult job of bringing up her valuable cargo of metal ores, and Harjurand succeeded in carrying some 4,500 tons of the recovered ore to Tampa to be utilized in the war effort.

For most of the next 18 months, Harjurand was engaged mainly in removing protruding parts of sunken hulks which threatened navigation off the East Coast of the United States. She worked on Gulfamerica off Jacksonville, Fla., April 1944, Ashkabad at sea east of Georgia in June, Maurice Tracy off South Carolina in August, and destroyer Sturtevant off the Florida Keys during April 1945.

At the close of the war, to which the old coal-burning Harjurand had contributed much, the contract with Merritt Chapman, and Scott was terminated and the ship was returned to the War Shipping Administration 22 May 1946. She was stricken from the Navy List 19 June 1946. Subsequently, Harjurand was sold to Miraflores, S.A., of Panama, and resumed merchant service until about 1955 as Dodecanese

 

'); ');