USS Guardoqui

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Guardoqui IX-218

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Guardoqui

The name Gardogui (q.v.), carried in the U.S. Navy by a Spanish gunboat captured during the Spanish-American War, was erroneously spelled Guardoqui when assigned to IX-218.

( IX-218: dp. 15,665; 1. 510'6"; b. 68';
s. 10 k.; cpl. 70)

Guardoqui (IX-218), ex-E. T. Bedford, was built in 1921 by the Federal Ship Building Co., Kearny, N.J.; acquired from the WSA and commissioned at Pearl Harbor 23 June 1943, Lt. Harold L. Tysinger in command.

A tanker originally intended for use as Mobile Floating Storage, Guardoqui departed Pearl Harbor for Eniwetok 27 July 1945. Reaching her destination 12 August, she discharged her cargo of fuel and lube oil to navy and merchant ships for almost a month. Guardoqui departed Eniwetok 7 Septem~ber nud put in at Tokyo 21 September to discharge more lube and fuel oil.

Departing Tokyo 7 November, she transited the Panama Canal via Pearl Harbor 28 December and eame to anchor off Mobile, Ala., 6 January 1946. Guardoqui decommissioned at Mobile 13 February 1946 and was returned to the WSA. Her name was struck from the Navy List 12 April 1946 and she was sold to her previous.ovvller, E. T. Bedford, 28 January 1947.

 

'); ');