USS Ash

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Ash-YN-2

Ash

A genus of trees of the olive family characterized by pinnate leaves; gray branchlets; and thin, furrowed bark.

(YN-2: dp. 700 (f.); 1. 151'8"; b. 30'6"; dr. 10'6"; s. 14 k.; cpl. 40; a. 13"; cl. Aloe)

Ash (YN-2) was launched on 15 February 1941 at Houghton, Wash., by the Lake Washington Shipyards, Inc., and was placed in service on 1 July 1941, Lt. Charles E. Ide, USNR, in charge.

The net layer served briefly in San Francisco Bay laying out net bouys an- tending nets until 20 Au ust when she headed for the Hawaiian Islands and duty in the 14th Naval District. Ash arrived at the section base at Bishop's Point on the island of Oahu on 28 August and began working on the nets that protected Pearl Harbor. She was at the Bishop's Point section base when the Japanese attacked American warships and installations at Pearl Harbor on the morning of 7 December 194 1. Though she fired sporadically at some of the enemy planes during t he two hours of the attack, she claimed no kills and suffered neither casualties nor damage.

Following the attack, the ship served at Pearl Harbor through the end of the war. Redesignated AN-7 on 20 December 1942, she was placed in full commission that same day, Lt. J. H. Russell, USNR, in command. Ash continued to operate in the Pearl Harbor area until 11 May 1946 when she got underway for San Francisco. The net layer was moored at the Mare Island Naval Shipyard until 1 November when she got underway for Vancouver, Wash. She was placed out of commission there on 13 December 1946 and remained in reserve until 1 September 1962 when her name was struck from the Navy list. She was then transferred to the Maritime Administration for the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Wash. She stayed there until sold on 14 May 1971 to I. D. Logan for scrapping.