Waldegrave DE-570

Home
Naval Shopping
About MultiEducator
American History
World History
Election Central
NationbyNation
Primary Source Documents
20th Century Almanac
Aviation History
Navy History
Railroad History
America's Wars
Biographies

Amistadt

Civics

History of Israel
Other Links
About Historycentral
Advertise
Contact US

This Month in Naval History
Waldegrave DE-570

Waldegrave

(DE-570: dp. 1,300; 1. 306'0"; b. 37'0"; dr. 9'0"; s. 26.0 k.; cpl. 200, a. 3 3", 1 2 pdr., 2 40mm., 8 20mm., 2 dct., 6 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.); cl. Buckley)

Waldegrave (DE-570) was laid down on 16 October 1943 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard; launched on 4 December 1943; and transferred to the Royal Navy under lend-lease on 25 January 1944, when she was commissioned for service under the white ensign as HMS Waldegrave (K-579). She served in the Royal Navy for the duration of World War II, garnering "battle honors" for her operations in the Atlantic and in the English Channel.

Returned to the United States after World War II, the ship was accepted on 3 December 1945 and was subsequently struck from the Navy list on 21 January 1946. Sold, three times in succession—first to the Atlas Steel and Supply Co. of Cleveland, Ohio; then to the Kulka Steel and Equipment Co. of Alliance, Ohio, and last to the Bristol Engineering Co. of Somerset, Mass., on 8 December 1946, the erstwhile "Captain-class" escort vessel was scrapped in June 1948.

 

© 1999  MultiEducator, Inc.  All rights reserved
Report Problems here.

GO TO
Historyshopping.com
For Caps, Jackets,Parkas,
Polo Shirts, Plaques,

Windbreakers,,Sweatshirts
Fleece, Mugs and Mousepad.
The Perfect Source for Naval Gifts