USS Moccasin

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Moccasin ScTug

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Moccasin
(ScTug: t. 192; 1. 14'5"; b. 22'3"; dr. 9'; s. 10 k. (max.); a. 3 12-par. r. (30 September 1864) )

The first Moccasin, a wood screw tug, was built as Hero in 1864 at Philadelphia, Pa., purchased by the Navy 11 July 1864 from S. & J. M. Flanagan at Philadelphia; and commissioned 14 July 1864 at Philadelphia Navy Yard, Acting Ens. James Brown in command.

Assigned to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, On 25 July Hero was renamed Moccasin. She acted as guard boat off Fort Delaware, Pea Patch Island, Del., until 13 August when .Moccasin joined tug Aster and brig Yantic in pursuit of blockade-runner CSS Tallahassee. The two tugs cruised as far north as Nantucket Island, Mass., before returning to Philadelphia 19 August. Moccasin resumed patrol off Fort Delaware into early 1865.