USS Isaac N Seymour

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Isaac N. Seymour SwStr

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Isaac N. Seymour

(SwStr t. 133, 1. 100'- b. 19'8", dr. 6'0"; s. 11 k.; cpl.
30; a. 1 30-pdr. P.r., 1 20-pdr. P.r.)

Isaac N. Seymour (also called Seymour, I_N. Scvmour. and J. N. Seyn~our) was built at Keyport, N.J., in 1860 and was purchased by the Navy at New York from NIr. Schultz 26 October 1861. She was assigned to the North ltlantic Blockading Squadron 20 Novelllber and 3 days later was stationed in Hampton Roads. While there she joined three other ships in engaging Confederate steamer Patrick Henry and drove her back up stream.

A month later Flag Offlcer Goldsborough ordered Isaac N. Seymour to Hatteras Inlet for impending operations in the sounds of North Carolina. She participated in the combined operations which took Roanoke Island 8 February, and at the end of the action she was commended for being "con.spicuously in the foreground throughout the bombardment." One of her powdermen`-as killed and her chief engineer was seriously wounded in the fight.

The next day Isaac N. Seymour steamed up Piankatank River to Elizabeth City, N.C., with Comdr. Rowan's expedition to destroy enemy gunboats and to break up communications between Albemarle Sound and Norfolk, Va. She continued mop-up operations in the sounds until she struck an abandoned anchor in Hatteras Inlet 20 February and sank before she could be run aground.

She was raised, repaired, and returned to service in May. She resumed her former duty and continued to give a good account of herself in the sounds until 24 August when she struck a bank and sank in the Neuse River some 3 miles above New Bern while steaming upstream to cover a landing of troops. A month later she .~was reported raised and on the ways being readied for service.

Back in fighting trim 23 October, she was ordered to tow schooner Minnehaha to Plymouth, N.C., to deliver provisions. Five days later she made the return passage towing damaged steamer Whitchead to New Bern for repairs. Similar duty maintaining communications and lines of supply between Navy units in the sounds continued until 12 December when Isaac N. Aseymour ascended the Neuse River with four other ships to support an Army expedition to destroy railroad bridges and track near Goldsboro N.C., but the mission wa aborted by low wtaer which prevented their advancing more than 15 miles beyond Bern

Confederate troops attacked the Union garrison at Washington NC, 31 March 1863 establishing a seige wich threatened to starve the Northern troops into surrender. Isaac N. Seymour departed Plymouth 2 April to play an active role in the naval operations which despite well served batteries ashore, brought the beleugured soldiers food and ammunition. The Southern troops were finally forced to lift the blockade 16 April. Once again the daring and versatile Navy had been decisive in holding a hard pressed position for the North.


lsaac A~ Seymour was a part of the task force which started up the James River 11 July to demonstrate against Richmond. The high point of the expedition came 14 July when Rear Admiral S. P. Leet flying his flag in lsaac A~ Seymour occupied Fort Powatan, the last Confederate defense on the river below Chaffln's and Drewry's Bluff.

Isaac V. Seymour coninued to serve in the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron—maintaining Union control of North Carolina's inland waters and supporting Army operations from the James and York Rivers as General Grant supplied and supported by water, relentlessly pressed toward Richmond and victory.

Isaac V. Seymour was detached in March 1865 and decommissioned at Washington 16 May. She was transferred to the light House Board 20 June which she served as Tulip until sold and redocumented Magnolia 7 June 1882. Magnolia was sold to a foreign owner in 1888