USS Daffodil Swstr

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Daffodil Swstr

Daffodil

The well-known single-flowered plant.

(SwStr: t. 173; 1. 110'6"; b. 22'6"; dr. 6'6"; s. 8 k.; cpl. 36; a. 2 20-pdr. r.)

Daffodil, a side-wheel steamer, was built as Jonar' Smith by B. C. Terry at Newport, KY., in 1862. She was purchased at New York 17 November 1862 and fitted out at New York Navy Yard.

Assigned to duty with the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, Daffodil sailed 24 November 1862, Acting Master L. G. Crane in command. From her arrival at Port Royal, S.C., 10 December 1862 until the end of the war she served as tug in the coastal waters of South Carolina and Georgia. Her services were characterized by Admiral S. F. DuPont as invaluable. On 8 September 1863 she towed 26 of the boats in the assault on Fort Sumter. From 27 November to 29 December 1864 she took part in the successful Army-Navy expedition up Broad River to destroy the Charleston and Savannah Railroad Bridge near Pocotaligo, S.C. On 27 January 1866 she made a reconnaissance up the Ashepoo River and on 9 February' joined in a successful engagement with enemy batteries in the Togodo River, S.C.

After the Civil War Daffodil joined the newly organized North Atlantic Squadron and was stationed at Port Royal, S.C., until sold at Savannah, Ga, 13 March 1867.