USS Cherokee

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Cherokee

Cherokee

An Indian tribe, found today chiefly in Oklahoma and North Carolina.

(ScStr: t. 606: 1. 194'fi": b. 26'2", dr. 11'6"; s. 13 k.;
cpl. 92; a. 2 20-pdr. r., 4 24-pdr. sb.)

The first Cherokee was captured off Charleston, S.C., by Canandaigua 8 May 1863 as she attempted to run the blockade. The steamer was sent into Boston for con. damnation, but before she was turned over to the Prize Commissioners on 7 July, made a cruise in search of the Confederate privateer Tacong. After condemnation, Cherokee was purchased by the Government, outfitted at Boston Navy Yard, and commissioned 21 April 1864, Acting Volunteer Lieutenant J. F. Nickels in command.

Cherokee sailed from Boston 11 May 1864, bound for duty off the coast of North Carolina with the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron. In addition to contributing to Union victory by cutting the Confederacy off from overseas sources of supply, this squadron repeatedly bombarded coastal defenses, and cooperated with the Army in amphibious expeditions up the many bays, inlets, and rivers of the serrated coast. Cherokee's operations included the capture of blockade runner Emma Henry 8 December 1864, and bombardments at Fort Fisher, N.C., in December and January 1865. On 30 January she was ordered close inshore at New Inlet to reconnoiter the Half Moon Battery, where she discovered a large party of Confederates approaching the fortifications recently secured by Union troops. Cherokee' threw heavy fire ashore, which drove the Confederates away after the determined rushes at the Union I lines.
In February 1865, Cherokee' joined the East Gulf Blockading Squadron, and patrolled against blockade runners between Key West and Havana until the close of the war. She was decommissioned at Boston 23 June 1865, and sold there 1 August 1865.