USS Catalpa

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Brooklyn

Catalpa
(ScTug: t. 191; 1. 1053; b. 22 2"; dr. 9'; cpl. 37; n.
2 24-par. sb., 1 12-par. sb.)

Catalpa, a screw tug, was built in Brooklyn, N.Y., in 1864 as Conqueror; purchased by the Navy 29 June 1864; commissioned 12 July 1864, Acting Ensign J. A. Edgren in command; and reported to the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron.

Throughout the remainder of the war, Catalpa operated with her Squadron along the South Carolina coast, performing the varied services with which she rendered valuable support to the successful blockade of the Confederacy. She carried passengers and light cargo in addition to performing the usual tug services, and skillfully removed torpedoes and obstructions. She contributed her officers and men to operations in Broad River and Bull's Bay in which a naval brigade cooperated closely with Army forces in preparing for Sherman's march to the sea, and in February 1865, stood up the Pedee River to Georgetown, S.C., where her landing party routed a band of Confederate horsemen, and raised the flag over the town.

Catalpa was decommissioned 1 September 1865, and was used as a yard tug at New York until 23 July 1894 when she was sold.