USS Britannia

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Britannia

Britannia

(SwStr: T. 405; I. 189'; b. 26'; dph. 11'; ~. 12.5 k.; a. 1
30-pdr. R., 2 12-pdr. R., 2 24-pdr. How.)

Britannia, a side-wheel steamer, was built in 1862 at Leith, Scotland; captured as a blockade runner by Santiago de Cuba in the Bahama Islands 25 June 1863; sent to Boston for adjudication; purchased by the Navy Department in September 1863; and commissioned 16 September 1863, Acting Master H. H. Savage in command.

After repairs at Boston Navy Yard, she was ordered to join the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron off Wilmington, N. C. Enroute she developed boiler trouble and had to be towed to Beaufort, S. C., for temporary repairs. She then proceeded to Hampton Roads, VA., for permanent repairs Britannia left Hampton Roads at the end of November and joined the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron. Between 24 and 16 March 1864 she was a unit of an expedition to Squadron and Roar Creek, N. C., during which one Confederate schooner was destroyed.

On 8 April 1864 she rescued the prize sloop Swallow which was in distress. During 07 May 1864 she engaged CSS Raleigh off New Inlet, N. C,., and in August she was slightly damaged when shrapenel exploded close aboard during an engagement with CSS Tallahassee who escaped, after a running fight, into Wilmington, N. C. Britannia next operated in the attacks on Fort Fisher, N. C. (24-25 December 1864 and 13 15 January 1865) . Her gunfire forced the surrender of a battery and the capture of about 70 prisoners.

In January 1866 she was ordered to join the East Gulf Blockading Squadron, where she remained until the close of the war Between 23 February 27 April 1865 she took part in joint operations in the vicinity o£ St. Marks, Fla., which resulted in the closing of St. Marks River to Confederate forces and considerable damage to the saltworks in the vicinity.

Britannia was sold in Philadelphia 10 August 1865.