Victoria III AK-281

Home
Naval Shopping
About MultiEducator
American History
World History
Election Central
NationbyNation
Primary Source Documents
20th Century Almanac
Aviation History
Navy History
Railroad History
America's Wars
Biographies

Amistadt

Civics

History of Israel
Other Links
About Historycentral
Advertise
Contact US

This Month in Naval History
Victoria III AK-281

Victoria III

(T-AK-281: dp. 15,199, 1. 455'3", b. 62'0", dr. 22'0" (max.); s. 19.7 k., cpl. 87; a. none; cl. Norwalk; T.VC2-S-AP3)

The third Victoria (T-AK-281) was one of four "Victory Ships" transferred from the Maritime Administration to the Navy in the mid-1960's for conversion to fleet ballistic missile (FBM) resupply cargo ships. She had been laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull V-526) as Ethiopia Victory on 20 January 1944 at Richmond, Calif., by the Permanente Metals Corp., Shipbuilding Division, for the Agwilines shipping firm, launched on 20 April 1944 and sponsored by Mrs. Michael F. Novak. Eventually placed in reserve in the years following World War II Ethiopia Victory was transferred to the Navy on 13 August 1964 and taken to the Philadelphia Navy Yard for conversion.

In her designed role, the ship was to provide complete logistics services to a deployed FBM tender. One of her holds was modified to carry missiles in an upright position in addition, she could carry refrigerated provisions, submarine torpedoes, spare parts, and fuel. On 22 May 1965, the ship was renamed Victoria and classified as T-AK-281.

Entering service with the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) in October 1965, Victoria operated with MSTS until that agency became the Military Sealift Command (MSC) on 1 August 1970. She presently serves under the auspices of MSC, Atlantic, into 1980.

 

© 1999  MultiEducator, Inc.  All rights reserved
Report Problems here.

GO TO
Historyshopping.com
For Caps, Jackets,Parkas,
Polo Shirts, Plaques,

Windbreakers,,Sweatshirts
Fleece, Mugs and Mousepad.
The Perfect Source for Naval Gifts