Rescue II ScGbt

Home
Naval Shopping
About MultiEducator
American History
World History
Election Central
NationbyNation
Primary Source Documents
20th Century Almanac
Aviation History
Navy History
Railroad History
America's Wars
Biographies

Amistadt

Civics

History of Israel
Other Links
About Historycentral
Advertise
Contact US

This Month in Naval History
Rescue II ScGbt

Rescue II

(ScGbt.: t. 111; l. 80'; b. 18'; dr. 8'; s. 6 k.; a. 1 20-par. P.r.,
1 12-pdr.)

The second Rescue, built for the builders account in 1861 by Harlan and Hollingsworth, Wilmington Del., was purchased for the Navy on 21 August 1861; fitted out at Philadelphia; and ordered to join the Potomac Flotilla.

Under the command of Lt. H. S. Newcomb, Rescue joined the flotilla prior to mid-September and took up station near Alexandria. By the 18th, she had shifted to the Mathias Point-Pope's Creek area where she seized the schooner Harford and her cargo of wheat and tobacco. On 11 October the gunboat, with Resolule and Union, captured and burne1 the schooner Martha Washington which had been awaiting Confederate troops in Quantico (Dumfries) Creek. Ten days later, she returned to Mathias Point to engage enemy batter~es there.

A week of courier duty followed, and, on the 28th, she was detached from the Potomae Flotilla and ordered to the Rappahannoek for duty in the North Atlantic Bloekading Squadron. On 6 November she captured and burned the schooner Ada at Corrotman Creek and, on the 8th, seized the ammunition stora~e ship Ur7'ana, At midmonth she was ordered to Hampton Roads where she assumed tug and patrol duties which took her into 1862. In October 1862 she moved up to Washington for repairs, after which she got underway for Port Royal, S.C., and duty in DuPont's squadron, then blockading Charleston.

Reseue arrived at Port Royal early in November. Through the summer of 1863, she performed tug and patrol duties in the anchorage area and in September shifted to Charleston. In October she returned to Port Royal to continue tug and patrol duties there until June 1864 when she was ordered to Baltimore for repairs. On 2 September, she departed Baltimore and shortly thereafter resumed duty with the Potomae Flotilla. Stationed in the St. Mary's area, Reseue remained in the Potomac Flotilla through the end of the Civil War. She then proceeded to Washington, where for the next 24 years she served as a district craft, first as a tug, then as a fireboat. Declared unserviceable in 1889, she was condemned and sold on 25 March 1891.

 

© 1999  MultiEducator, Inc.  All rights reserved
Report Problems here.

GO TO
Historyshopping.com
For Caps, Jackets,Parkas,
Polo Shirts, Plaques,

Windbreakers,,Sweatshirts
Fleece, Mugs and Mousepad.
The Perfect Source for Naval Gifts