(SwGbt: t. 250; a. 2 guns)
The first Poinsett, a sidewheel gunboat, was transferred from the War Department to the Navy Department in 1840 for service in the 2nd Seminole War. Initially commanded by Comdr. Isase Mayo, she was employed agamst the Seminoles until August 1842 when a large percentage of the tribe was relocated in the west. Then assigned to survey activities, Poinsea remained in the waters off Florida, primarily in the Tampa area, until returned to the War Department in 1845.