Palau CVE-122

Home
Naval Shopping
About MultiEducator
American History
World History
Election Central
NationbyNation
Primary Source Documents
20th Century Almanac
Aviation History
Navy History
Railroad History
America's Wars
Biographies

Amistadt

Civics

History of Israel
Other Links
About Historycentral
Advertise
Contact US

This Month in Naval History
Palau CVE-122

Palau


(CVE-122: dp. 11,373,1. 557'1", b. 75'; ew. 105'2", dr. 32' s. 19 k.; cpl. 1066; a. 2 5", 36 40mm.; cl. Commer~cement Bay)

Palau (CVE-122) was laid down by the Todd-Pacific Shipyards Inc., Tacoma, Wash., 19 February 1945; launchod 6 August 1945; sponsored by Mrs. J. P. Whitney, and commissioned 15 January 1946, Capt. W. E. Cleaves m command.

Commissioned as the Navy began its post-war demobilization, Palau completed shakedown off California, transited the Panama Canal, underwent post shakedown availability at Boston, and on 11 May moved down the coast to Norfolk where she was immohilized until May 1947. On 22 May she steamed south to Cuba for refresher training, after which she headed north to Norfolk and New York, whence she steamed to Reeife, thence to West Africa. She returned to the east coast 16 August and after another availability at Boston was again immobilized at Norfolk, December 1947-March 1948. During the spring of 1948 she conducted operations off the east coast and on 3 June departed for the Mediterranean to deliver planes, under the Turkish Aid Program, to representatives of that country at Yesilkoy. Returning to Norfolk 7 August, she remained in the western Atlantic, ranging from the Maritime Provinees to the West Indies, until April 1952. Then departing Norfolk she returned to the Mediterranean to operate with the 6th Fleet until late June, when she resumed duties with the 2nd Fleet on the east coast.

Palau, designated for inactivation in early 1953, was retained in commission to perform one final ferry assignment, planes to Yokosuka (8 August-22 October). On her return she entered the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, decommissioning 16 June 1954. Berthed with the Philadelphia Group Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Palau remained a unit of that fleet until struck from the Navy List 1 April 1960 and sold, 13 July 1960, to Jacques Pierot, Jr. and Sons, New York.

 

© 1999  MultiEducator, Inc.  All rights reserved
Report Problems here.

GO TO
Historyshopping.com
For Caps, Jackets,Parkas,
Polo Shirts, Plaques,

Windbreakers,,Sweatshirts
Fleece, Mugs and Mousepad.
The Perfect Source for Naval Gifts