(CVE-103: dp. 10,400 (f.), l. 512'3", b. 65'2", e.w. 108'1"; dr. 22'6"; s. 19 k.; cpl. 860; a. 1 5", 16 40mm., 20 20mm.; cl. Casablanca)
Roi (CVE-103), originally MC hull 1140 and later projected as an AVG and an ACV, was laid down as Alava Bay (CVE-130) on 22 March 1944 by Kaiser Shipbuilding Co., Vancouver, Wash., renamed Roi 26 April 1944, launched 2 June 1944, sponsored by Mrs. William Sinton, acquired from the Maritime Commission and commissioned 6 July 1944, Capt. P. H. Lyon in command.
Following shakedown off San Diego, Roi was assigned to the Carrier Transport Squadron which carried planes, equipment, and men to forward bases. On 13 August 1944 she steamed for Espiritu Santo and Manus loaded with 287 passengers and 71 planes, returning to San Diego 27 September. Underway again for Manus 21 October, she returned to San Diego before departing 2 Deeember on a third voyage which took her to Eniwetok and Guam.
Following overhaul at Alameda, Calif., Roi made two round-trip voyages to bases in the Marshalls and the Marianas before returning to Pearl Harbor to begin carrier refresher operations in preparation for her new duty as a replenishment carrier for the hard-hitting fast carrier task force of the 3d Fleet
Loading 61 replacement aircraft in a 30-day combat ready state, Roi sailed to Guam, where she reported to Task Group 30.8. Her duties were now to furnish pilots, crewmen, planes, and aviation supplies to the carriers of Task Foree 38 on rendezvous days following their attacks on the Japanese home islands. Roi got underway on 4 July with the carriers Admiralty Islands, Hollandia and Thetis Bay, and met TF 38 at Rea on 12 July, 16 July, anl 20 July, retiring to Guam on the 21st to reload. She got underway on the 27th with 61 more planes, and joined the fast carriers on the 31st. Returning to Guam, the ship reloaded and met the task force again on 14 August just prior to the cessation of hostilities, then remained with the 3d Fleet off Japan in preparation for the occupation.
Following the end of the war Roi was used in "Magic Carpet" operations, returning veterans to the United States for discharge.
Roi was decommissioned at Bremerton 9 May 1946; struck from the Navy list 21 May, and sold 31 December 1946 to Zidell Machinery & Supply Co., Portland, Oreg.
Roi earned one battle star for World War II service.