(Brig: cpl. 36; a. 16 6-pdrs.)
The first Scourge was the former British privateer, Transfer, which had been sold to the Tripolitan Consul at Malta. As a Tripolitan ship, she had been used in blockade running during the Barbary Wars. She was captured off Tripoli, on 21 March 1804 by the United States Brig, Siren, commanded by Lt. Charles Stewart. When captured, she had a crew of 80 men and mounted 10 guns.
Commodore Edward Preble renamed the ship Scourge and outfitted her with 16 six-pounders. On 17 April 1804, she joined Preble's squadron and participated in the blockade of Tripoli and also in the attacks on Tripoli. She was commanded by Lts. John H. Dent, John Rowe, and Ralph Izard. On 30 November 1804, Scourge, under the command of Lt. Izard, sailed for the United States where she saw coastal service. In 1812, she was declared unfit for service and sold at auction in Norfolk, Va.