USS Hammann II

History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Other Sites
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
Multieducator Products

Hammann II DE-131

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Hammann II

(DE 131: dp. 1200; 1. 306'; b. 36'7"; dr. 8'7"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 186 ; a. 3 3", 8 dcp., 2 dct., 1 dcp. (h.h. ); cl.Edsall)

The second Hammann ( DE-131), formerly Lanpley, was named 1 August 1942 after the first Hammann; launched by Consolidated Steel Corp., Orange, Tex., 13 December 1942, sponsored by Mrs. Lilliam Rhode; and commissioned 17 May 1943, Lt. Comdr. R. D. deKay in command.

Hammann departed 5 June for Bermuda and shakedown operations, returning to Philadelphia a July. From there the ship sailed to Norfolk and on 13 July began the first of her many transatlantic convoy voyages. Her first four passages to Casablanca, Morroco, covered the period 13 July 1943 to 10 March 1944. During this period she screened convoys in company with escort carriers. She made several attacks on submarine contacts, but recorded no kills.

Between 28 March 1944 and 29 November 1944 the busy ship made no less than six more voyages successfully convoying to and from Europe, stopping at ports in Northern Ireland. Starting 4 January the ship changed her convoy destination to Liverpool and made our more voyages protecting the vital flow of supplies for the end of the European war. During one passage, 2 March 1945, Hammann was called upon to aid one of the ships in the convoy, Lone Jack after a torpedo attack. The destroyer escort picked up 70 survivors and sent salvage parties aboard the stricken ship to keep her afloat.

Her duties in the Atlantic completed, Hammann departed New York 7 July 1945 for training operations in the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, area, departing 24 July for California. She arrived San Diego via the Panama Canal 4 August, and from there proceeded to Pearl Harbor. As the Pacific war was then over, the destroyer escort took on passengers at Pearl Harbor for California, and after discharging them sailed, through the Canal again to Charleston, S.C., arriving 25 September. She decommissioned at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 24 October 1945, and was placed in reserve. She was later moved to the Texas Group at Orange, where she remains out of commission in reserve.


'); ');