USS Ability

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Ability AFD-7

Ability

III

(AFD-7: dp. 1,200, 1. 288'0", b. 64'0"; w. 45'0" (clear inside)
dr. 3'3" (It.). 31'4" (flooded); cap. 1,900 tons)

The construction of AFD-7—a one-section, steel, floating drydock built at Eureka, Calif, by the Chicago Bridge and Iron Co.—was begun sometime early in 1943 and was completed in April 1944. The small, non-self-propelled auxiliary floating drydock was then towed to the east coast for duty at the United States Coast Guard base at Curtis Bay, Md., where she began a long career of docking small naval combatants—up to the size of destroyer escorts—for hull repairs.

At the end of World War II, the vessel returned to the Pacific and proceeded via Pearl Harbor to Guam. While serving there she was redesignated AFDL-7 in August 1946. Following brief operations at the naval operating base at Guam, AFDL-7 was taken out of service on 1 January 1947 and laid up with the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Some time in 1948, she was towed back to Hawaii and laid up at Pearl Harbor. New Year's Day 1950 found her at the Long Beach (Calif. ) Naval Shipyard for repairs which lasted into the following year. Two years later, she was back at Pearl Harbor—still inactive. She was inactive, in reserve, there until June 1970 when she was transferred, on loan, to the Army for service in South Vietnam. In October 1971, the small drydock was returned to the United States Navy and laid up at Guam. On 1 January 1973, she was reactivated and served at various advanced Facific bases. She remained in this status through 1980. During this period of service, AFDL–7 was named Ability on 7 June 1979. While at Guam, she was taken out of service early in 1981. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 15 February 1981. She was slated to be sold; but no record of her subsequent fate has been found.