When California was still a Mexican province, the land which is now occupied by the Los Angeles International Airport was a part of a large Mexican land grant known as the Rancho Sausal Redondo. After California became part of the United States the property changed hands a number of times and finally became Bennett Rancho. In the 1920's and 1930's National Air Races were held at the airfield, having the final meet in 1936. In 1928 the City of Los Angeles leased 640 acres of the ranch, which is the present sight of the airport. In 1937 the city of Los Angeles purchased title to the airport.